ORIGINAL ARTICLE
DEEP AND SURFACE FOREIGN LANGUAGE LEARNING STRATEGIES OF DEAF AND HARD OF HEARING STUDENTS
 
More details
Hide details
1
Katolicki Uniwersytet Lubelski Jana Pawła II
CORRESPONDING AUTHOR
Ewa Domagała-Zyśk   

Ewa Domagała-Zyśk, Katolicki Uniwersytet Lubelski Jana Pawła II, al. Racławickie 14, 20-950 Lublin, mail: ewadom@kul.pl, tel.: 81 445 41 01
Publication date: 2019-07-22
 
Rozprawy Społeczne/Social Dissertations 2016;10(2):31–35
 
KEYWORDS
ABSTRACT
The aim of this article is to present and analyze opinions of foreign language teachers of the deaf and hard of hearing students on the students’ learning strategies. The study is based on empirical research of a group of 35 deaf and hard of hearing students. The method used was the SUSNS scale (N. Aharony 2006). The results show that over 70% of students know and use both the deep and surface learning strategies. The results also indicate a need to support the remaining group of 30% of students. Foreign language classes should include not only the language content, but also strategies of foreign language learning.
 
REFERENCES (15)
1.
Aharony N. (2006), The use of deep and surface learning strategies among students learning English as a foreign language in an Internet environment. British Journal of Educational Psychology, 76, s. 851-866.
 
2.
Allinson L. (1992), Learning styles and computer based learning environments. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 602, s. 62-73.
 
3.
Biggs J. (1993), What do inventories of students’ learning process really measure? A theoretical review and clarification. British Journal of Educational Psychology, 63, s. 3-19.
 
4.
Bull S., Ma Y. (2001), Raising learner awareness of language learning strategies in situations of limited resources. Interactive Learning Environments, 9, 2, s. 171-200.
 
5.
Domagała- Zyśk E. (red.), (2013b), English as a foreign language for the deaf and hard of hearing persons in Europe. Wydawnictwo KUL, Lublin.
 
6.
Domagała-Zyśk E. (2012), Strategie nauczania języka angielskiego jako obcego uczniów z uszkodzeniami słuchu w szkołach podstawowych, gimnazjach iszkołach ponadgimnazjalnych. Człowiek-Niepełnosprawność-Społeczeństwo, 2 (17), s. 67-86.
 
7.
Domagała-Zyśk E. (2013a), Wielojęzyczni. Studenci niesłyszący i słabosłyszący w procesie uczenia się nauczania języków obcych. Wydawnictwo KUL, Lublin.
 
8.
Domagała-Zyśk E. (red.), (2013b), English as a foreign language for DHH persons in Europe. Wydawnictwo KUL, Lublin.
 
9.
Domagała-Zyśk E. (2014), Surdoglottodydaktyka. Lekcje i zajęcia językowe dla uczniów niesłyszących i słabołyszących. Wydawnictwo KUL, Lublin.
 
10.
Kontra E. (2013), Language learning against the odds: retrospective accounts by Deaf adults. W: English as a foreign language for the deaf and hard of hearing persons in Europe, red. E. Domagała-Zyśk, Wydawnictwo KUL, Lublin, s. 93-112.
 
11.
Ochse E. (2013), English for specific purposes and the deaf professional: The SignMedia Project. W: E. Domagała-Zyśk, English as a foreign language for DHH persons in Europe. Wydawnictwo KUL, Lublin, s. 77-92.
 
12.
Oxford R. (1992/1993), Language learning strategies in a nutshell: Update and ESL suggestions. TESOL Journal, 2, 18-22.
 
13.
Podlewska A. (2013), Cued speech as an empirically-based approach to teaching English as a foreign language to hard-of-hearing students. W: E. Domagała-Zyśk English as a foreign language for DHH persons in Europe. Wydawnictwo KUL, Lublin, s. 181-196.
 
14.
Pritchard P. (2013), Teaching of English to deaf and severely hard of hearing pupils in Norway. W: E. Domagała-Zyśk, English as a foreign language for DHH persons in Europe. Wydawnictwo KUL, Lublin, s. 113-134.
 
15.
Vann R.J., Abraham R.G. (1990), Strategies of unsuccessful language learners. TESOL Quarterly, 24, s. 177-198.
 
eISSN:2657-9332
ISSN:2081-6081